Subject: Re: Poor disk performance
To: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ari_Sovij=E4rvi?= <apz-list@2304.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2005 20:22:02
> Maybe-- I once got a 5-pack of WD1200JB drives, using four in a RAID-1,0
> setup, and I had two of the drives fail within a day or so of each other.
> Anyway, if you are using the drives in a RAID config, having just one of them
> start to act up can be enough to really slow down the entire array, even if
> the other drive is fine.

I guess in theory if you take two disks from the same batch, and they have the
same manufacturing defect and you run them under identical load (raid1), they
also break apart about the same time. My personal record is losing both disks
in raid1 array withing 6 hours. I first thought it was a controller problem,
but it turned out the disks had really given up. After that I've been trying to
get raid components from different vendors.

> All of this being said, if smartmon isn't seeing any problems, it may be
> something else, but it was worth checking...

I agree.

--
Ari Sovijärvi
http://apz.fi/