Subject: Re: Poor disk performance
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ari_Sovij=E4rvi?= <apz-list@2304.org>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2005 12:43:08
On May 4, 2005, at 12:29 PM, Ari Sovij=E4rvi wrote:
> I already use smartmontools with automatic full test once a week. Both=20=

> of the drives check out just fine. Neither of the drives have a single=20=

> bad (or reallocated) sector. They have about 2000 hours on them. While=20=

> I can't completely rule out hardware failure, I'd find it odd to have=20=

> two HDDs with the exact same fault.

Maybe-- I once got a 5-pack of WD1200JB drives, using four in a=20
RAID-1,0 setup, and I had two of the drives fail within a day or so of=20=

each other.  Anyway, if you are using the drives in a RAID config,=20
having just one of them start to act up can be enough to really slow=20
down the entire array, even if the other drive is fine.

All of this being said, if smartmon isn't seeing any problems, it may=20
be something else, but it was worth checking...

--=20
-Chuck