Subject: Re: Poor disk performance
To: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ari_Sovij=E4rvi?= <apz-list@2304.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2005 19:29:15
> Running a long SMART self-test will do a good job of examining the drive
> hardware and ought to give you a better picture of what is going on.  It
> would not surprise me if this slow drive has a bunch of bad sectors which are
> being transparently corrected using ECC and the automatic hotspare mechanisms
> that modern drives do.  Even though the drive hasn't reported a failure, the
> correction process would cause a very noticable slowdown, similar to what
> you've described is actually happening.

I already use smartmontools with automatic full test once a week. Both of the
drives check out just fine. Neither of the drives have a single bad (or
reallocated) sector. They have about 2000 hours on them. While I can't
completely rule out hardware failure, I'd find it odd to have two HDDs with
the exact same fault.

--
Ari Sovijärvi
http://apz.fi/