Subject: Re: Poor disk performance
To: Ari Sovijarvi <apz-list@2304.org>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/04/2005 10:50:18
On May 4, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Ari Sovijarvi wrote:
> I'd find it very odd, if BOTH of the drives were suffering the same
> kind of a problem, especially when they're about 3 months old. Then
> again, this is a RAID system, so I could replace the drives one by
> one, but I'd rather look for other alternatives first before spending
> 150e for new hardware that might not fix the problem.

Give a thought to testing the drive either with smartmon or offline
using the manufacturer's test utility.  (I don't know for sure that
NetBSD supports the needed ATA capabilities, but if pkgsrc has
sysutils/smartmontools, then it probably can.)

Running a long SMART self-test will do a good job of examining the
drive hardware and ought to give you a better picture of what is going
on.  It would not surprise me if this slow drive has a bunch of bad
sectors which are being transparently corrected using ECC and the
automatic hotspare mechanisms that modern drives do.  Even though the
drive hasn't reported a failure, the correction process would cause a
very noticable slowdown, similar to what you've described is actually
happening.

--
-Chuck