Subject: Re: is there anything i can do on a daemon not willing to die? (ignores
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/03/2005 21:40:52
Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net> writes:
>
>>hi list,
>>
>>what can i do about a daemon that crashed in a way (clamsmtpd on
>>NetBSD 2.0.2-RELEASE/SPARC64) that not even a kill -9 `PID` got me rid
>>of it?
>

> If not even a kill -9 killed it, you have a kernel bug. What was the
> process sleeping in?

hm, it's running plain vanilla 2.0.2-RELEASE...

the process was not sleeping, IIRC it was in state 'CPU' -- at least
(regarding to top) it consumed nearly 100% CPU, the systems' load was
between 4.5 and 5.2 for several hours...

>>are daemontools [1] an option? they monitor a service and bring it
>>back up if it got killed (also behaviour of clamsmtpd on my machine),
>>but that's not exactly what i need...
>

> If a process is hung in the kernel because of a bug, nothing is going
> to get rid of it it other than a reboot.

what can i do to get more information on what killed it, compile a
kernel with more debug info and the same for the package?

i'm willing to try this combination an a non-production system (an Ultra
1 or Ultra 2 compared to the Ultra 10 production system, but there's
hardly a difference from the OS' point of view).

thanks,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.