Subject: Re: configuring RealTek 8139 NIC
To: R.Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathar@yahoo.co.in>
From: Timo Schoeler <tis@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/2005 16:59:51
On Mon, 2 May 2005, R.Sivaramakrishna Sharma wrote:

>> have you re-installed the whole system as we said to
>> be the best solution
>> in our last email?
>
> Affirmitive ;]
> I actually nuked the disk with some "Eraser" software
> confirming to DoD(xyz) standards for electronic media
> safety, just to clean up the drive.

it is sufficient to drop into the shell (from within sysinst) and do a `dd
if=/dev/zero of=/your/HD bs=16k count=100' or so -- that erases MBR etc.

> And then I dont know what happened to the router -
> some 50 - 100 Metres from my house, the optical cables
> were badly damaged :( and the network connection went
> down for about 3 - 4 days. That's why I was not able
> to test the connection. Then I wasted 6 hours reading
> most of the network related man-pages, how-to's and
> other docs, and succeded in somehow getting the NIC to
> boot up (with so many bandages and crutches).
>
>> that's AFAIK normal behaviour and shouldn't need any
>> further investigation
>> because it should time-out very quickly and go ahead
>> the IPv4 way...
>>

> Well..... I still do not see WHY I NEED IPv6 in the
> stack, it will probably take a MINIMUM of 2 years,
> even if my ISP was very enterprising and wanted to
> upgrade all his networks - but that's not the case -

altho IPv6 doesn't hurt your system...

> I just want to get rid of any IPv6 in the stack.

... then you have to build a kernel w/o IPv6 support in it.

> BTW - if my ISP does not support IPv6 - i cannot use
> IPv6, right ?- i.e. to reach IPv6 servers on the WWW ?

IPv6 can be tunneled via IPv4 (e.g. take a look at [1])

>> no, but it has to be configured correctly.
>
> Yes.... and that's where I am beat :(
>

>> could you please tell us the
>>
>> * dmesg output (especially that regarding to the
>> NIC)
> <dmesg output comes here .....>
>>
>> * the defaultroute entry in /etc/rc.conf
>
> oh! so there is this conf too eh? I thought
> /etc/mygate would suffice :o letme check this .....
>>
>> * the ifconfig.<NIC> that was created by sysinstall
>>

> NO - when i conf'ed NIC with sysinst there was no ...
>
> /etc/ifconfig.$IF
> /etc/mygate
> /etc/myname
> /etc/myhosts
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Nothing - I had to do all the work myself .....

hm, if the card is detected by NetBSD (i bet!) then it can be configured
via sysinst.

the files you name above are not those NetBSD uses (not all).

* /etc/resolv.conf should be okay to use DNS

* /etc/rc.conf should contain sth. like defaultroute="w.x.y.z" (insert
your routers' IP there)

* /etc/ifconfig.$IF:

up
w.x.y.z netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
^^^^^^          ^^^^^^^^^
hosts IP	that's a /24 or 255.255.255.0

> Now letme read howto mount a Fat32 partition in NetBSD
> - in about 1 - 2 hours (it's 8:01 PM IST now as I
> write), after reading it, I'll somehow get the text
> file into the FAT32 partition and send you another
> mail  with all the gory details ;0

later...

> Thanks :)
>
> Regards,