Subject: is there anything i can do on a daemon not willing to die? (ignores kill -9)
To: bsd-help (E-Mail) <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/2005 12:57:01
hi list,

what can i do about a daemon that crashed in a way (clamsmtpd on NetBSD
2.0.2-RELEASE/SPARC64) that not even a kill -9 `PID` got me rid of it?

my (production) system finally hang in a shutdown loop trying to kill
it -- for 16 hours till i reached somebody of the colocating ISP to
power cycle it :(

are daemontools [1] an option? they monitor a service and bring it back
up if it got killed (also behaviour of clamsmtpd on my machine), but
that's not exactly what i need...

tia & regards,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.