Subject: configuring RealTek 8139 NIC
From: R.Sivaramakrishna Sharma <arunagirinathar@yahoo.co.in>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/02/2005 11:25:50
Dear People,
Thank you so much for all the help and response you
all have extended to me in configuring my NIC -
basically to install additional packages like X, X
Desktop etc. etc. etc.

Somehow after trying all your suggestions, almost
every trick in the book, I have a half-broken internet
connection - i.e. automatic start of network
connection does not work and I have to do a

$inet .....

command to make it barely to ping to my gateway.

using the `pkg_add <package>` after exporting the
PKG_PATH results in a strange path -
cannot resolve 6e:ff:2w:32:.... <i.e. some IPv6
address>. This is inspite of the fact that I said 'NO'
to IPv6 autoconf during sysinst.

If someone could gratefully help me with this damned
problem, it would be great. It's been almost 24*3
hours I am stuck with this problem. May be I made
mistakes, or may be I need to do something else....

I've never had so much surmounting problems with
FreeBSD ...... :(

Yet I like NetBSD's clean and sleek architecture .....
I choose not to pull back to FreeBSD :)

Please help me :***

P.S. Do I need to re-compile my kernel for a simple
NIC to work (without IPv6)?

Thank you
Regards,
RSK.