Subject: Re: 2.0 broke the delete key, but only in X11
To: None <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2005 17:03:28
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:05:06 +0000, Dieter wrote:

> In 1.6.2 the control-H key generates ^H,
> the "backspace" key generates ^H, and the
> "delete" key generates the delete character,
> just like you might expect.

Why do you expect that? I don't have a VT220 terminal currently, but I
believe that on such terminals Backspace generated delete and Delete
generated ^[[3~. And xterm is a VT220 emulator, so I would expect it to
behave in the same way. Most importantly, the values generated should
match the entries in termcap. As the termcap entry for xterm lists ^[[3~
as the value for the Delete key, that's what I would expect the Delete key
to generate.

> Question 1: How do I get the delete key to work correctly in X11 in
2.0?

IMHO the current behaviour is correct.

> Question 2: Why the gratiutatous change from 1.6.2 to 2.0 ?

As the previous behaviour was incorrect, this is probably a fix.

Bye	Pavel