Subject: Re: espcutil (pkgsrc/print/gimp-print-escputil) does not work.
To: Shigeki UNO <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2005 08:30:07
  Cannot read from /dev/ulpt0: Operation not supported by device

It appears you are using USB to talk to the printer.  USB lpt is in
theory bidirectional, but last I checked the NetBSD driver ulpt(4) was
output only.  Some additional code, probably not much, is needed to
handle input and make it available to the read system call.  If you
have a USB/parallel converter this would affect you.  (I have no clue
about input from printers on actual parallel devices.)

I would run ktrace on escputil; I suspect it is a read call on the
printer device (following writing the read ink commands) that is
failing.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>