Subject: Re: Can't boot after successful install
To: Tracy Nelson <tmnelson@neb.rr.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2005 09:37:54
On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:08:13PM -0600, Tracy Nelson wrote:
> I recently installed NetBSD 2.0 on my machine.  However, when it boots
> it doesn't come up with a boot manager, it just goes straight into
> Windows.  My guess is this has something to do with the fact that my
> boot drive is IDE, and I installed NetBSD onto a SCSI drive.  However,
> when I try to boot from my SCSI card, it says that no OS can be found.
> I'm guessing this is because I have two SCSI drives, and NetBSD is
> installed on the second one (ID2, with ID1 being my Windows D: drive).
>
> Any suggestions on how I can boot into NetBSD?  I looked on the CD, but
> I didn't see any way to make a non-install boot disk.  Oh, and my
> cheap-o CD burner won't boot the CD I made from the 2.0 ISO, so I can't
> get into BSD to run fdisk or anything.  This is on a Windows ME box
> (yeah, well, I've got a lot of bad karma to atone for).
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> -- Tracy Nelson (tmnelson@neb.rr.com)

For anything more complex than two OSes on the same disk, I'd advice you
to use grub.  It's a very flexible bootloader which can be installed on
any ext2/FAT/FFS/cd9660/jfs/Reiser/UFSv2/XFS filesystem.  Install grub's
files + config on your NetBSD / filesystem (as NTFS is not supported
yet), check if a version on floppy can find them there, and install
grub's stage1 into your first disks MBR.  From there on, using grub is
*easy*.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ and pkgsrc/sysutils/grub/

GH

--