Subject: Re: PPP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/2005 23:10:18
In article <20050130220021.61811.qmail@web42105.mail.yahoo.com>,
	Andre Leao <eng_alm@yahoo.com.br> writes:

> # /etc/ppp/options
> /dev/tty00
> lock
> crtscts
> 57600
> modem
> defaultroute
> noipdefault
> # /etc/ppp/peers/brfree
> connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f
> /etc/ppp/peers/brfree.chat'
> noauth
> user andreleaomacedo
> remotename brfree.com.br
> # /etc/ppp/peers/brfree.chat
> ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATDT15002831
> CONNECT
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets are
> identical:
> andreleaomacedo * mypassword

That file is documented as having *four* fields, the last
being the allowable IP addresses, so it should really have
another "*" at the end, but I think the three fields should
still work.

> (The ISP uses PAP)
> The modem dials to the ISP, but it immediatelly hangs
> up. This is what I got from /var/log/messages:
> CONNECT
> -- got it
> Serial connection stablished.
> Using interface ppp0
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty00
> Modem hangup
> Connection terminated
> Exit

Try turning on "debug" to see what the complaint is.  First,
add a line such as...

daemon,kern.debug	/var/log/debug

to "/etc/syslog.conf", and type

/etc/rc.d/syslogd reload

Now add "debug" to one of your options files, or the command
line, and try again.  It may, for example, say "no such user",
because it wants you to supply "andreleaomacedo@brfree.com.br"
(with the domain) as the user.  Post the "debug" output here
if nothing stands out.

Frederick