Subject: PPP problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Andre Leao <eng_alm@yahoo.com.br>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/2005 19:00:21
Hi,

After some years playing around with Linux, I decided
to try NetBSD 2.0 (amd64). I am impressed by the
consitency of the system, and also its documentation
(the NetBSD Guide is excellent  for those who are
trying to use the system for the first time).

The problem is that I cannot establish an Internet
connection using my external modem (US Robotics 56K
V92 on /dev/tty00). These are the files I have
created:

# /etc/ppp/options
/dev/tty00
lock
crtscts
57600
modem
defaultroute
noipdefault

# /etc/ppp/peers/brfree
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f
/etc/ppp/peers/brfree.chat'
noauth
user andreleaomacedo
remotename brfree.com.br

# /etc/ppp/peers/brfree.chat
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATDT15002831
CONNECT

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets are
identical:
andreleaomacedo * mypassword

(The ISP uses PAP)

The modem dials to the ISP, but it immediatelly hangs
up. This is what I got from /var/log/messages:
CONNECT
-- got it
Serial connection stablished.
Using interface ppp0