Subject: Re: exitprot_to_real can't return to ...
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2005 14:40:28
On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 07:51:03AM -0500, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> Thought I'd finally get around to upgrading to NetBSD 2.0. I waited until
> obtaining the CDs from BSD Mall to do it. Also, as a precaution, I thought
> I'd start from scratch on a quarantine platform, my IBM 380Z laptop.
>
> So I put in BSD Mall's NetBSD 2.0 disk number 1 to boot. I get a whole
> screen full of this...
>
> exit
> exit
> exit
> exit
> exitprot_to_real can't return to D50C02C8 I9990305
>
> What does that mean?

Well that message is supposed to be output if the boot code detects that
the return address for routine that changes from 32bit mode to 16bit mode
is too large a value (ie >64k from the base of the code).
However the 'exit' text comes from somewhere else, and there should only
be one number.
In any case this would (usually) be caused by an error when linking the
bott code and would be platform independant.

> Are these CDs no good? Or am I missing something?

I'd actually suspect that the BIOS isn't behaiving the way the boot
code expects.  Testing this code for a specific bios is hard enough,
BIOS vaguaries just compond things.

I'd see if another system will boot the CD - it won't overwrite the
hard disk until well into the initialisation sequence.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk