Subject: Old partition name limits on "config" directive
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave <spam@pianocast.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2005 04:44:54
  Under a recent i386 netbsd-2 checkout (and maybe under earlier revs,
although I happened to notice it under 2.0) the name limit on
partitions in the

    config <exec_name> root on <rootdev> [stuff]

directive of kernel config files doesn't appear to support the updated
16 partition-per-drive limit.  In other words, the statement

    config	netbsd	root on sd0o

results in an error ("invalid root device name `sd0o'"), whereas if
one sets up sd0h with geometry identical to that of sd0o, this one,

    config	netbsd	root on sd0h

will succeed.  I'm guessing that it's because h is in the first 8
partitions and o is not?

  Anyway, I guess this is pretty minor, but is it already known about?
Is it pr-worthy?

Thanks,  --Dave