Subject: Re: home directories in Linux emulation
To: Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
From: Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2005 10:19:43
Hi there again,

> I try to run a Java application in Linux emulation. It seems that it
> has problems with accessing my home directory /home/roman. Obviously
> only the directory structure below /emul/linux is visible and there I
> have no /emul/linux/home/roman directory. I tried to create it and set
> appropriate permissions but this only leads to other problems (and is
> ugly because I would rather like to have everything in one place). So
> it came to mind to create a symlink from /home/roman ->
> /emul/linux/home/roman or /usr/pkg/emul/linux/home/roman but this
> leads to an error saying 'too many levels of symlinks'. Now I don't
> know what else there is to do.
>
> - why does Linux emulation not use /home/* instead of
> /emul/linux/home/* ??
> - can I change this somehow (a sysctl setting? ENV-variable?)

I think I found a solution (at least part of it). I could just mount my
home directory into /emul/linux/home like this:

mount_union /home/roman /emul/linux/home/roman

this effectivly mirrors my home directory in the emulated directory tree.

Still have some strange problems though, NetBeans hangs when creating
new projects, but still better than before..

/Roman