Subject: Re: PostgreSQL taking a *lot* of CPU time.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Kemp <bsd@allegory.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/2005 02:13:34
Rich Neswold <rich.neswold@gmail.com> wrote:
> Berteun Damman <berteun@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This is really a PostgreSQL question, not a NetBSD one.
> >> Note that it is possible that you will eventually be sent back here
> >> depending on what they find out but they need to be your first stop.
> >
> > I've been sent back (probably) to the NetBSD list
>
> PostgreSQL 7.4.3 is behaving the same way on my 2.0-RELEASE system. If
> you have any ideas for me to try, I'd be willing to help out.

I'm running NetBSD-current from 24th Nov and had the same problem with
PostgreSQL from pkgsrc after 18th Dec.  Using "cvs update" to wind back
to pkgsrc as of 18 Dec 2004 fixed it, so I assumed it was a bug in pkgsrc.

Have a look at the PR I submitted for it a while ago:

    pkg/28729: PostgreSQL consumes 100% CPU after brief heavy loading
    http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=28729

Was it installed from pkgsrc?  Is your pkgsrc quite old?

Bob