Subject: Re: Midrange Server hardware recommendation, please.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Timothy A. Musson <Timothy.Musson@zin-tech.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2005 18:50:43
Harry Waddell wrote:
> Exactly. Check all the basics too, like power and cooling. At the data center
> where I have my systems, and at a few customer sites I manage, I always check
> these things first. Under good conditions, I've had few problems with any
> 2U or larger systems. Also, the systems I've built, or had built to spec
> have survived extremely well compared with systems from the major
> manufacturers. That said, 1U servers can be problematicm e,g, no
> matter what you buy, cramming 48 1U systems in a cabinet is going to be tricky,
> especially with newer, hotter cpus.
>
> Of course now that I've said this all my systems will spontaneously combust.
> :-)

I have to agree with Harry.

In any case, especially if you're in the Cleveland, OH, USA area, here's the opinion of a collegue:

P.S. We stopped purchasing Dell two years ago, and all servers since have
been bought through Perifitech. 20% better performance, lower prices,
better support and someone local that you can talk to.
http://www.perifitech.com/

And, no, I'm not affiliated.

-Tim