Subject: Re: got drivers?
To: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2005 13:21:34
Seth Kurtzberg wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Dieter wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>>> You could add DragonflyBSD.  Maybe Solaris, they are supposedly
>>> becoming some form of open source.  Maybe Apple's OS X, although
>>> I wonder if there are or will be any open source OS X drivers.
>>
>> Sure.  http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.3.7/
>
> To be clear, are the drivers for Darwin (by itself) the same as those
> (that are open source) for OSX?

Yes.

> Or will I find drivers on opensource.apple.com/darwinsource that I won't
> find on a site that is for Darwin but not for OSX?

Hmm.  If a site about Darwin doesn't happen have all of the drivers Apple
lists, I don't see what difference that makes...?

>> ...most of the things with capital letters (IOKit) are drivers.
>> Apple's site wants you to login first, but they are available via
>> CVSweb on opendarwin.org:
>
> I don't mind logging in, I own an apple.  It is a totally useless
> machine that won't stay up for more than four hours (at least running
> OSX; I will have to try NetBSD on it; my suspicion is that OSX has a
> multiprocessor problem that will not occur in NetBSD, but that remains
> to be seen).

If the machine is "totally useless" to you, why not sell it?  You are certain
to make a profit over your current assessment of its value...

[ Smells like FUD. ]

>> http://cvs.opendarwin.org/index.cgi/src/IOKitUser/
>
> This is where you said that logging in is not necessary, and this has
> the same drivers as I would find using the first URL you listed?

Yep.

--
-Chuck