Subject: Re: minimum space req'd for installation
To: ja.far <zen25058@zen.co.uk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/2005 19:59:49
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:36:58AM +0000, ja.far wrote:
> hello listers
>
> I'm back with my old i386 box and have a few questions. I have
> netbsd-2.0_BETA installed on the second half of a 6 GB second hard drive.
>
> 1. How much space is required to recompile kernel and userland? (I have
> a GENERIC kernel in at the moment.) I don't think I have enough space -
> after downloading the src files /usr is almost full and / is about 22%
> full. My swap partition is about 750 MB. (I am using the CD
> installation's default partitioning.)
From a recent current build:

737907k for sources
1220096k for obk dir
191666 for destdir
128731 for release dir

The GENERIC kernel object directory itself need 25694k

> 2. Is it possible to wipe Linux off the first part of the drive and use
> that for the NetBSD installation?

Yes, you could just newfs this partition, and mount it on some directory.
The sources don't have to live in /usr/src, obj dirs don't have to be in
/usr/obj

> 3. Is there any other way to free up more space?

You could shrink the swap space, and use the extra space as another
partition. But that wouldn't give you much space.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>