Subject: Re: Network not configured on NetBSD-amd64 2.0 on ASUS A8V & Athlon
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Philip Vetter <pv+compsq@math.duke.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2005 11:16:27
As a mere NetBSD novice I am not sure how to describe the problem.
My goal is to have a working (TCP/IP) ethernet connection using dhcp.
The networking hardware is OK, since without making any hardware changes
I am able to complete network installs of Redhat linux.
However when I boot NetBSD,"traceroute 192.168._._" fails with
"Can't find any network interfaces" and "ping _" fails with
"cannot resolve _: (host name lookup failure)"

ifconfig -a output shows an entry for sk0!
sk0: flags: 8843 (UP,...)
      addr: 00:11:d8:06:1b:00
      media: Ethernet manual (none)
      inet6: fe80::211::... ... %sk0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

dmesg | grep sk reports:

skc0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: ioapic0 pin 17 (irq 10)
skc0: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet ...
sk0 at skc0 port A: Ethernet addr 00:11:d8:06:1b:00
sk0: no PHY found

I meant to say I had (following the instructions) changed rc.conf to
include dhclient=yes
What else should I check?

Thank you,

Philip

--
Philip Vetter

There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations--these are mortal, and their life
is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with,
work with, marry, snub, and exploit--immortal horrors or everlasting splendors.

          -from The Weight of Glory, by C.S. Lewis