Subject: Re: Midrange Server hardware recommendation, please.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2005 16:24:50
You might consider this:

	http://www.8anet.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=613&lastcatid=190&step=4

This is a Chenbro deep 3U rackmount chassis that is quite popular with
several vendors.  I don't own one but I know several people who are quite
happy with them.  The motherboard 8anet is putting in it in this system
is the same one that The NetBSD Foundation is using in two new build
servers, and worked quite well for me during burn-in of the new systems.

You'll have to pick a suitable RAID card or add SATA controllers and
use RAIDframe.  The 3ware 9500-12 that 8anet suggests won't work unless
you feel up to porting the driver from FreeBSD.

If you use the Maxtor MAXline II 200GB drives, 12 drives as two RAID 5
sets with parity and spare for each set would get you 1.6TB.  I would
not recommend cheaper drives -- the MAXline or WD "Raid Edition" or Raptor
drives are meant for server use, and over the long run, you'll be glad you
bought them.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky