Subject: Re: Network card suggestion?
To: Richard Pennington <rich@pennware.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2005 11:27:09
You could try a broadcom based card. I just use the 1000TX versions
now because some day soon it will be cheap enough to upgrade my switches.
See man bge for more info on makes and models. [I've got a netgear]
I know the gig-E cards are a bit more expensive, but the 32bit pci versions
are pretty reasonable. Even if you don't use gig-E, you can still turn on
hardware checksums, which is a nice feature.

Mine is in my amanda server, so it gets pounded nightly
with multiple simultaneous backups and has never even hiccuped. Of course,
your mileage may vary.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing