Subject: Some questions
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Serban Udrea <s.udrea@gsi.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2005 16:54:36
Hello,

I am a newcommer to NetBSD and just installed 2.0 on a machine
(Athlon based PC) which is supposed to become a server and there are some
things which puzzle me at the moment:

1) Is there any need to run sendmail? I do not whant to use this MTA
and for the moment I do not need any MTA on this machine but maybe
sendmail has to run for other purposes (I think this is the case with
FreeBSD).

2) Because I have a german (PS/2) keyboard I set encoding to "de" in
wscons.conf. I also for the moment use sh as shell. Now, if I login as a
normal user the arrow keys do not work properly with the shell (I get just
garbage like ^[[A), but work for instance with less. On the oposite the
keys for umlauts work and the corresponding characters are displayed on
the screen. If I do a "set -E" then I get the arrow keys to work and
provide me with previously used commands but now the umlaut keys do not
work at all (I just get beeps from the PC-speaker). Moreover in both cases
some keys do not work properly. I cannot get:

~
`
^

This happens both with VT100 and VT220 terminal settings (which as I
could figure out are defaults).

And finally if I login as root I get the same behaviour as a normal user
after set -E, and could not find out why.

Any help is highly wellcome!

Best regards,

Serban Udrea

PS. My main experience is with Linux where the terminal is set by default
to linux and I use bash (I know I can install bash on NetBSD also but I
would like to understand what to do if it is not there).