Subject: Midrange Server hardware recommendation, please.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/2005 16:37:38
Hello all. It's been a while since I've been asked to set up a
relatively significant server using NetBSD, and I'd like to find out
what kind of modern hardware is considered "solidly supported" on
NetBSD these days.

Oh, I know all the base stuff is working well: but is there a specific
off-the-shelf server platform that people feel comfortable running
NetBSD on these days? Something from Dell or HP perhaps?

I'm looking for something in the range of about 1-2TB of drive storage,
single processor, no bells and whistles but rock-solid stability. I
expect it to be in service (with a few hard drive changes) for about a
decade.

Basically it just needs to serve files. Lots of files. All the live-long
day.

Hardware-supported RAID would be good too.

Haven't actually run NetBSD on critical systems in a while, which is why
I'm asking here for your thoughts.

-Marc

P.S. Do not reply to my From:. Instead, reply directly to the list,
netbsd-help@netbsd.org. Thank you in advance.