Subject: Re: AFS or CodaFS
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2005 21:08:46
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 05:46:51PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:16, Petra Lynn Hofmann wrote:
> > however, what about Win2K/XP?  Is CIFS used by these file systems?  Or,
> > is SAMBA still the best method of file sharing between Linux and MS O/S?
>
> Samba is a very good solution.  I use it all the time.   It currently is the

Samba is actually what had driven me to look for an alternative.  Samba is
a good program in and of itself, but the Windows Networking experience has
left me with a bad tast in my mouth.  Having a uniform way to share files
between Windows and BSD/Linux/UNIX is very attractive to me.

Thanks much for the write up, very informative.  However, I now think that
Coda won't work for me, since I really need to share home directories.
Several people on my network are running GNOME and KDE, with all the
mini-databases that go with them :).

For posterity's sake, here's what I've discovered on AFS:

The OpenAFS server compiles and runs on NetBSD.  The OpenAFS client does
not work at all.  I have not had a chance to test it myself, but I've been
told it works well.  Support is in the testing (1.3.x) OpenAFS release
for OpenBSD and Mac OS, hopefully to the benefit of NetBSD users.

A tutorial for setting it up is at:
http://www.madscientistresearch.net/ProjectList/ProjectNorton/AfsOnNetBSD

For a NetBSD client, arla in pkgsrc provides functionality nicely.  Arla
also includes a server, but it is not production quality.

(Thanks to Tracy J. Di Marco White for the AFS info).

Thanks to all,

Clark

--
Sir Clark Frazier Hale I