Subject: Re: crazy idea?
To: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2005 10:11:36
--ct8ez/PVgO98mXV4

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 09:42:05PM +0100, Mipam wrote:
  | Hi,
  |=20
  | On a system i am running 2.0 and on another current.
  | (And on one 1.6 but let's not mention all)
  | To be honest, i like current better so i wish to move from 2.0 to curre=
nt.
  | I thouht of this:
  |=20
  | fetch the current source.
  | build.sh ...... tools
  | ............... build
  | ............... kernel=3Dmykernel
  | (backup all config files of /etc)
  | replace rc.conf with a generic one.
  | reboot
  | build.sh ....... install=3D/
  | then fetch the etc.tgz the current sources of ftp.netbsd.org
  | and extract it in / (to replace all /etc, /etc/rc.d etc with the curren=
t=20
  | onces. Should i do the same for /var (in which tar files is /var=20
  | contained?). Then i have current running.
  | Would this be a feasible idea or not?
  |=20
  | I thought about doing the whole stuff again, but i can't find bootdisks=
=20
  | for netbsd-current anywhere.
  | Could build.sh .......... release help any in this to ease things or no=
t?
  | Any hints?

1. build a distribution & sets, and your kernel
	./build.sh distribution sets kernel=3Dmykernel releasekernel=3Dmykernel
2. copy the sets & the kernel tar file from $RELEASEDIR/... to the system.
3. install the kernel.
4. reboot to single user.
5. extract the sets (except etc.tgz & xetc.tgz) over /
6. extract etc.tgz into a scratch directory & run
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` check
   if you're happy with the changes,
	./etc/postinstall -s `pwd` fix
7. reboot