Subject: Re: AFS or CodaFS
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2005 20:28:03
On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:08:37PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:
>   I can't tell you much about AFS, but I can tell you something about Coda.

Thanks much for the reply!

> Actually, while it has not been released properly yet, there is now a stable
> NT client.  I plan to have it ready by late March.  If you want a copy of the
> current version, let me know.

If I get my servers setup before then, I will definitly take you up on
that offer.

> Yes, there have been some problems with the client sometimes ending up in some
> weird state where a "re-init" is the best way to get it back ... and that
> loses unsaved data, but part of that is the fact that the major development
> is with the client, not the server.

That's a bit worrisome.  How often does something like that occur?  Is
that specific to a particular port of the client?

> should never be run on top of Coda and I have personally found that home
> directories are not very Coda friendly.

What are the problems you've run into serving home directories?  I will
mostly be serving stuff that changes very little, but homes directories
are still very important.

Thanks again,

Clark

--