Subject: Re: AFS or CodaFS
To: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/16/2005 22:08:37

On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:16, Lord Clark Frazier Hale I wrote:
>Has any had any good/bad experiences with either Coda FS and/or AFS on=20
>NetBSD.

Hi,

  I can't tell you much about AFS, but I can tell you something about Coda.

> * Coda FS seems to be more Linux centric and less active

Yes, it has been recently been developed more under Linux than under the BS=
D=20
OSes because the only full time programmer working for CMU is one who prefe=
rs=20
Linux.   But there are some people who continue to run Coda on NetBSD and=20
keep it working.   Most recently, changes to support "realms"  (similar to=
=20
AFS cells) have been added to the Coda FS trees in NetBSD and FreeBSD.

> * No stable Windows NT client, yet

Actually, while it has not been released properly yet, there is now a stabl=
e=20
NT client.  I plan to have it ready by late March.  If you want a copy of t=
he=20
current version, let me know.

> * Heard rumors that Coda's data integrity is not great.

I'd love to know where those rumors come from :)  Actually, the file server=
s=20
are very stable and once the data gets to the file servers, I've not heard=
=20
any failures due to anything other than hardware.   I have not had any file=
=20
server problems with Coda in the area of data integrity.   The servers=20
provide replication very well and hardware failures on a server have been=20
solved by replacing the offending disk, setting up the base coda server set=
up=20
and then had replication repopulate the files stored on the failed server.

Yes, there have been some problems with the client sometimes ending up in s=
ome=20
weird state where a "re-init" is the best way to get it back ... and that=20
loses unsaved data, but part of that is the fact that the major development=
=20
is with the client, not the server.

It is not a file system like NFS where the user can "ignore" the FS.   Coda=
=20
does take some special attention.   For example, one using Coda should alwa=
ys=20
use codacon to monitor the client for things like conflicts so one can repa=
ir=20
them.   Also, the semantics are session semantics instead of UNIX semantics=
,=20
but that is also a feature of AFS.    Some applications, like databases,=20
should never be run on top of Coda and I have personally found that home=20
directories are not very Coda friendly.

If you have more questions you can ask me.

Enjoy!
=2D --Phil

=2D --=20
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org