Subject: AFS or CodaFS
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Lord Clark Frazier Hale I <xlark@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/15/2005 19:16:40
Hello all,

I would like to replace NFS and Samba with something a bit better.

I'm wondering of the state of serving either AFS or Coda FS (or
something better) on NetBSD.  I have about 14 machines running Solaris,
NetBSD, Mac OS X, Windows XP & 95, and Linux.  I realize that this may
be overkill.

Has any had any good/bad experiences with either Coda FS and/or AFS on
NetBSD.  Here's what I have found out so far:

* AFS requires a redo of partitions (not a big deal for me)
* AFS client support is good on NetBSD ( pkgsrc/net/arla )
* OpenAFS directly supports OpenBSD server & client
* OpenAFS will compile on NetBSD (I have not had success)
* AFS client/server for Windows NT & 9x

* Coda FS seems to be more Linux centric and less active
* No stable Windows NT client, yet
* Heard rumors that Coda's data integrity is not great.

Any advice, anecdotes, &c would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Clark

--
Sir Clark Frazier Hale I