Subject: pkg_holy_grail?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@hmacs.cmi.ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2005 11:02:32
Hello,

I'm still quite new to NetBSD and pkgsrc (but have quite some UNIX, esp.
FreeBSD experience), and I haven't found the "good" way to upgrade
NetBSD packages yet.  "make update" doesn't make much sense to me, as it
starts deleting the package and whatever depends on it, and then starts
rebuilding everything, 1) hoping this will work out and 2) leaving your
system unusable until it's done (and maybe even longer).

Then I found out about pkg_chk, which can generate a list of what has to
be upgraded, and upgrade these using either pkgsrc or precompiled
binaries, and pkg_comp, which has the wonderful ability to build
packages inside a sandbox.  Now, the two then still have to be combined
manually.  Isn't it possible to create some program, say pkg_holy_grail,
which essentialy is a pkg_comp-aware version of pkg_chk?  It would
figure out a list of packages which have to be recompiled, build them
inside a sandbox, leaving your running system untouched, and, when it
has finished building without errors, replace your existing packages
with a minimum of downtime.

Or is this already possible and am I missing something?

GH

--
:wq