Subject: Re: another kernel panic
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Albert Zick <al@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/14/2005 00:13:23
Hi,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 22:15, Albert Zick wrote:
>> from top:
>>
>> 3 root     -18    0     0K  123M pgdaemon  49:15 20.95% 20.95% [pagedaemon]
>>
>> The kernel has grown to 123 megs in size.
>
> If the system is still responsive, you can find out where the memory is going
> with "vmstat -m".  This might indicate where to look for a bug.

I really should have thought about using "vmstat -m" before I tried to
reboot it. I guess I just wasn't thinking.

A friend of mine built a new kernel with a patch that he found somewhere,
but it is still no good. This time it is not spending alot of cpu time on
the pagedaemon, but it is still pulling in a lot of memory. Also, ulimit
does not work now and it seems to be much, much slower.

Not sure what to do. I was tring to upgrade from 1.5 and I am now
considering going back to it.

Thanks,
Al