Subject: large drive problem -- HELP!!!
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: admin@datazap.net <admin@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/13/2005 22:00:20
Hi,

I have a system running 1.5.4 and I installed 2 maxtor 250 gig hard drives
in it. I booted from the old drive and partitioned the first drive making
1 gig root, 768k swap, 40 gig var, 30 gig usr, and the rest for home. I
then made one large partition out of the second drive. After mounting all
the partitions, I used dump | restore to move all the files from the old
drives to the new ones. After a reboot on the new drive everthing seemed
to be fine. I copied some files around and made changes, but then system
was not shutdown cleanly. During the next boot, it could not fsck the
/home partition or the single partition on the second drive (of course,
they were not mounted). I then tried to fsck them manually, but I was not
able to use fsck. The file system must have been corrupted.  Thinking that
I must have done something wrong, I ran "newfs /dev/sd0g"  and "newfs
/dev/sd1c" again. Once again, I had no problem copying files to or from
the /home directory or the second drive. I was able to reboot it a dozen
times without any problems. I decided that I needed to make sure that they
would work after not being shutdown down cleanly, and once again fsck
would not clean those partitions.

Has anyone else ever seen a problem like this, and did you find a
solution?

Also, after digging through the mailing lists, I noticed alot of people
are reccomending using alot of options when using newfs like:

"newfs -m 5 -b 8192 -f 1024 -c 64 -i xxx /dev/partition"

Could someone give me some examples of what I should be using for drives
of the 250 gig in size?

Thanks,
Al