Subject: How to use [usb|onboard] devices "without" associated driver on a
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julien Gabel <jpeg@thilelli.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/11/2005 23:32:54
Hello,

I had a D480V notebook running the NetBSD 2.0 release branch as shown
below:
NetBSD boboche.thilelli.net 2.0 NetBSD 2.0 (BOBOCHE) #0: Mon Jan 10
20:53:33 CET 2005
root@boboche.thilelli.net:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/BOBOCHE i386

This notebook has 2 devices which seems to be attached at the USB bus or
at least recognized as USB devices. These are:
  - a camera integrated on top of the screen's notebook (PC Camera);
  - an optional internal 802.11b Wi-Fi wireless LAN module (Warplink).

Here is what usbdevs(8) has to say about them:
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), Silicon
Integra(0x1039), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 160 mA, config 1, PC Camera(0x301b),
Z-Star Corp.(0x0ac8), rev 1.00
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), Silicon
Integra(0x1039), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, Warplink(0x0204),
Acer(0x0967), rev 1.32
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), Silicon
Integra(0x1039), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, Flash Reader(0xa600),
DATAFAB(0x07c4), rev 11.25

Here is the dmesg(8) information:
ugen0 at uhub0 port 2umass0 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
ugen0: Z-Star Corp. PC Camera, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
---
ugen1 at uhub1 port 2
ugen1: Acer Warplink, rev 1.10/1.32, addr 2

My question is: "what are the corresponding devices in order to be able to
use them (or how can i find/use this information)?"
I just found that under OpenBSD the wireless LAN module seems usable
through the wi(4) network driver... which is not the case under NetBSD.
And what about the PC Camera: is it possible to use it?

Advices are welcome: i can do all the proposed test(s) since this machine
is not (yet) fully in use.

Regards,
--
-jpeg.