Subject: Atheros driver issues.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2005 08:04:44
I posted this message to current-users@netbsd.org, did not see my post
arrive on the list, posted to owner-current-user@netbsd.org a query, no
response.

So one question is who is administrating current-users?

The other question is who is doing Atheros porting work from FreeBSD
to NetBSD?

I've built both the 'release' 2.0 NetBSD kernel with the atheros driver
as well
as the 'current' (from the tar images of 12/25/04 (or so)).

On both kernels I did have one major kernel crash to 'power on reboot'.
The AP was in 11a mode and channel 153 at the time. The sequence that
crashes both kernels is:

ifconfig ath0 mode 11a
wiconfig ath0 -D

The intent here is to get a list of available APs operating in 11a mode.

I don't have the sources in front of me, but as I recall, the
'released' kernel has
an Atheros driver of almost a year ago now (Jan 2004), and the
'current' has
a driver dated around Jul 2004.

The FreeBSD cvs version seems to be from around the first of Dec. 2004.
(And as a note, seems more recent than the sourceforge linux driver )

These observations are from last week, so some may have changed in the
intervening
time.

But the question I have is, who is doing the porting from FreeBSD to
NetBSD,
and why was there a major change in directory structure, file naming
convention,
etc.

I can understand the need for different snippets of code to accomodate
the differences
in the kernel calls/API etc. But the renaming of the files and
hierarchy changes don't make
a lot of sense (even if it has to be outside the kernel core sources,
maintaining the hierarchy
would have allowed for easier porting.)

John