Subject: Re: Using VI
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2005 04:20:49
In article <41DA2E15.7000307@gmail.com>,
	"°o.O Jeremy O.o°" <huangker@gmail.com> writes:

> Im booting into netbsd and trying to do some of the configurations from
> the netbsd manual. The only problem is that im extremely bad at using
> VI. In linux I kind of knew my way around but the netbsd version seems
> to be different!!! I cant seem to use the :i to edit the text!

Ha! That puts you in "ex" edit mode. Type "." to get back into command
mode, and perhaps "i", or "o" (no ":") to get into "vi" edit mode.

> Im so confusedm can someone help me with a short list of commands or
> sending me a link to a tutorial for the netbsd version of VI.

NetBSD's "vi" is "nvi", which sticks mainly to the original except
for a couple of new features -- infinite undo, and multiple windows.
Most linuxes (linii?) use "vim". You can find tutorials and references
on (real) "vi" all over the web, but for serious study, I heartily
recommend the O'Reilly book "Learning the vi Editor", by Linda Lamb
and Arnold Robbins. (There's even a chapter on "vim".)

> Alternatively are there any other text editors included in the netbsd
> installation?

Sure, besides "ex", which is really "vi", there's "ed". So, no, not
really.  You can install "vim" from pkgsrc, though.

Frederick