Subject: Re: Using VI
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2005 22:57:41
"°o.O Jeremy O.o°" <huangker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Im booting into netbsd and trying to do some of the configurations from
> the netbsd manual. The only problem is that im extremely bad at using
> VI. In linux I kind of knew my way around but the netbsd version seems
> to be different!!! I cant seem to use the :i to edit the text!

I think perhaps you want just 'i' (to enter insert mode), not ':i', which
enters the input mode of ex(1)?

> Im so confusedm can someone help me with a short list of commands or
> sending me a link to a tutorial for the netbsd version of VI.

There are scads of tutorials; google is your friend.  Two hints:

*  'man vi'.  Look for "Fast Startup".
*  ':viusage' gives a quick list of vi keys

> Alternatively are there any other text editors included in the netbsd
> installation?

Nope.  AFAIK, vi is the only BSD-licensed editor around.  Of course, you
could try /usr/pkgsrc/editors.  :-)

--jkl