Subject: NFS problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bastiaan Welmers <haasje@welmers.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2005 21:59:13
Hi,

I'm experiencing very annoying NFS problems with NetBSD.

It happens often that a mounted NFS share just breaks down, for a reason
that I cannot understand, because the connection is still up, I can ping,
ftp, telnet whatever between the two computers, but the NFS connection went
completely dead. Every process using the share turns into a zombie and can't
even be killed. umount -f does not work (and turns into a non-killable
zombie). Only solution is to hard-reboot the computer (can't even be
rebooted by the "reboot" commando, just hangs at the shutdown scripts).

Another day the nfs share works without problems.

Is there something that can be done to avoid this (in particular the
aggravating zombie behavior) ? I tried
something with time-out values but the error still returns.

This happens between two netbsd boxes, versions 1.6, 2.0 every combination.

Thanks for reply,

Bastiaan Welmers