Subject: Re: Better way to boot NetBSD
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2005 17:47:30
> And whats worse is that booting the second harddrive dosent seem to
> work either. It just seems like this netbsd almost dosent want to
> boot. Does anyone know wats wrong? does netbsd boot from a second
> harrdrive? could it be a problem with the bios?

That depends what you mean by 'boot from second hard drive'?
If you set the bios to boot 'D' (maybe 'then C') then one might expect
the bios to read the boot code of the 2nd disk and pass 0x81 in %dl.
If it does that, then the netbsd boot code will work.
If it does anything else it will not...

> > Windows is installed on the first harddrive
> > NetBSD is installed on thre second harddrive!
> >
> > Anyway I dont really understand what the -B flag in fdisk -B wd0
> > actually does. Will it install the boot selector on the mbr of the
> > first harddrive?

Yes, but you'll also need to set a 'menu item' for the windows partition.
Run 'fdisk -u wd0', edir the details for the windows partition, pressing
<return> for everything except the bootmenu name.
(that will also ensure that the bootsel code is installed)

Once you've done that booting the first disk will pause, and allow
you to press F1 to read the bootstrap of the second disk.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk