Subject: Netbsd 2.0 (i386) Configuring interface problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: radhika sambamurti <radhika@88thstreet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2005 00:18:05
Hi,
I just installed NetBSD 2.0 on my i386 PC.
I am trying to get my box connected to the network. My ethernet card seems
to have been recognized by the kernel as ne1.

I have set up all the neccessary files (resolv.conf, hosts, mygate,
defaultrouter, ifconfig.ne1) - and the startup message shows the network
starting.

during startup I see:
starting network
adding network aliases:
network device timeout

dmesg|grep ne1 shows:

ne1:NE2000 Ethernet
ne1:Ethernet address 00:40:.....
ne1:device timeout

(I will be paraphrasing here, as I have no network connectivity and cannot
transfer any files to show verbatim output)

ifconfig -a:

ne1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:40:.....
        media: Ethernet manual
        inet 192.168.11.7 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.11.255
        inet6 fe80::204:5aff:fe77:4447%ne1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

(Ok, I cheated. I copied and pasted from my working box, and changed some
things).

Is there anything else I need to do to configure the interface. Perhaps
ne1 is not the correct interface? Any ideas help will be appreciated.

Thx,
Radhika

--
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing
where to stand.