Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/28/2004 13:28:02
Just to clarify, regarding upgrading "dozens of packages":

I think that I was the one who injected the concern about rebuilding
packages.  But perhaps the intent got confused.

You only need to rebuild packages if you remove them or if they
are so sensitive that a version built on/for one release won't work
on another.

When I mentioned it originally, I was contrasting multiple ways of
doing the upgrade to 2.x.  One way is to wipe the hard disk and do
a fresh install.  This would indeed remove all packages that were
installed before the hard disk was wiped.  (^&

If you update NetBSD in-place without erasing the rest of the system
directory tree, then packages will probably be okay, as Mirko is
observing.

Mirko, if my comment led you to think that you'd need to rebuild
lots of packages no matter what you did, then I'm sorry for being
unclear.  I did not intend that.