Subject: Re: 1.6.2 -> 2.0
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2004 09:40:43
Richard,

thanks for your reply.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:

> Upgrading to 2.0 with "the least amount of effort" depends on your
> setup and your personal judgment.  E.g., is rebuilding a ton of
> packages from pkgsrc "effort" or "no effort"?

I did not mention that it is production server, and thus I want to keep
the downtime as low as possible. Although there is a backup server
available for the most important services, it is essential for the base
system to be up and running again as fast as possible. Rebuilding dozens
of packages definitely counts as "effort". However, if it has to be done,
it has to be done.

> The less customization that you have on a system, the easier it
> will be.

I guess this system could be regarded as "highly customized":

(08:07:02) root@ReLink [/usr/src] # pkg_info -a | wc -l
      358

(08:07:22) root@ReLink [/usr/local/bin] # ls -la | wc -l
      151

> I've upgraded systems usually in one of these ways:

[Since the first to ways seemed to lead to a longer downtime, I decided to
go for the third.]

> * Use the system source tree's build.sh to do an install over
>   an existing system.  (I've done this for a couple of machines
>   tracking -current.  I have not done it for a "normal" system
>   update.)

I just started build.sh in the background, so I think I'll be able to tell
whether it works for a "normal" system update or not in a few hours.

[...]

> Good luck.

Thanks for your help!

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09