Subject: Re: New logo
To: NetBSD Help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/31/2004 02:00:42
I wrote:

> That's what you get when a comittee decides on expressive art under the
> governance of overzealous political correctness.

Ah yes, another thing of course.
I see that the flag is dark orange, ok, let's name it a shade of red.
And distinctly pointing the _left_.
Do you intend to express that society ought to storm to the left under
the red banner?
Surely a lot of people would object to that.  So, not only have you
called upon you the holy wrath of the religious fundamentalists with
that dreadful rendering of Satan himself, now you have the entire
conservative establishment against you with your thinly veiled challenge
for international communist uprisal.  Of course, most people always
suspected that open source is just a communist ploy.

I therefore recommend that the logo be modified as follows:

  * Change the color of the flag to an unproblematic shade of gray. But
make it neither too light nor too dark a shade, in order not to
incite racial hatred.

  * Make the flag fly exactly centered, so as not to indicate any
political affiliation.  (Might be a bit tricky but that's the deal with
political correctness.)

  * Despite your efforts of centering it, don't make the flag hang like
a floppy wet towel, lest you be accused of demoralizing patriotism, and
working for the terrorists.

  * Make the flag pole a lot shorter.  Maybe replace it with something
different.  This is nothing but a sexist phallus symbol.

  * Replace the historically burdened (Satan logo software, etc.)
"NetBSD" name by the less problematic "NetFoo".

  * Finally replace "NetFoo" by "AlFoo", to pay credit to Al Gore, the
man who invented the Internet.

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de

   "Why don't these damned oil companies fly their own flags on their
   personal property-maybe a flag with a gas pump on it."
         -- Brigadier General Smedley D. Butler (1937), U.S. Marine Corps