Subject: Re: lost interrupt, device timeout...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/25/2004 20:30:11
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 06:13:28PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on a i386 system running -current (built 2004-10-18) the following
> was logged today:
>
> viaide0:0: lost interrupt
>         type: ata tc_bcount: 16384 tc_skip: 0
> [...]
>
> - Two weeks ago the power supply (350W) failed and was replaced with a
>   250W supply. (I'll install the old one as soon it's repaired.)
>
> - Yesterday I changed the order of attached IDE devices:
>   * Before: two harddisks on channel 0 (as primary master and primary
>     slave), a CD reader and a writer on channel 1 (as secondary master
>     and slave).
>   * Now: a harddisk (as master) and a CD (as slave) on each channel.
>
> - After this I configured RAID level 1 (RAIDframe) using all of wd0 and
>   wd1.
>
> I guess the power supply is not the culprit.

It could be. I've seen this kind of problem get fixed by installing a stronger
PSU.

> Assuming the same applies
> to RAIDframe: is it possible these errors are because of how I connected
> the devices? Or is there something wrong with wd0?

It could be too. Some master/slave combination don't work too well.
I remember having such a problem with seagate/IBM combinations, I ended up
adding another pciide controller, so that each would be on a separate channel.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>