Subject: Re: Anything in pkgsrc for QuickTime?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/2004 23:17:44
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 06:54:34AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Is this one of those cases where I have to manually try a hundred
> or so random -aid <n> parameters to find the audio channel?  Or
> does mplayer just not handle audio for QuickTime?  Is there a
> program that can get it *right* just by inspecting the .mov file's
> headers?

QuickTime is basically a file format for multimedia... whether mplayer
can play the contents depends on what codecs were used to encode the
file. Here's a list of the audio codecs mplayer supports:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html#audio-codecs

There's no native support for one of the more popular audio codecs
used in QuickTime files, QDesign. However, mplayer can use the Windows
QuickTime DLLs to decode it on i386 (maybe amd64 too? I have no idea).
Install the multimedia/win32-codecs package to get the DLLs...
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 28 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++