Subject: Re: Anything in pkgsrc for QuickTime?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Timothy A. Musson <timothy.musson@zin-tech.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/2004 11:36:02
At 07:54 AM 10/20/04 , Richard Rauch wrote:
>Is there anything in pkgsrc that can play QuickTime reliably?
>
>I've got a couple of .mov files (QuickTime, I think).  The only software
>that even looks promising for playing them is mplayer.  It does the
>video alright, but I can't hear the audio.
>
>Is this one of those cases where I have to manually try a hundred
>or so random -aid <n> parameters to find the audio channel?  Or
>does mplayer just not handle audio for QuickTime?  Is there a
>program that can get it *right* just by inspecting the .mov file's
>headers?
>

>I would be *perfectly* happy to convert to a more usable format,
>but when I try to use ffmpeg to do the conversion, I always
>get empty output files.
>
>Any suggestions or recommendations?

I can't be of too much help, but:

There is a great program called GSpot that identifies the audio and video codecs used in a given file. I know it runs on MS Win. I think it's open source, but the web filters here at work won't let me to the site to double-check. I think the site is http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ but, again, I can't be sure of that right now. I think they only claim to analyze avi files, but it usually does a good job with mpeg, QuickTime, Ogg, MP3, et. all.

Good luck.

-Tim