Subject: Re: Harddrive refuses to mount.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/2004 13:52:56
roberto wrote:
> Martin Schmitz wrote:
>
>>evilknievel wrote:
>>
>>>I know it is 'd' i forgot to mention it, ive tried mounting 'a' but
>>>with the same results.
>>
>>Your disklabel looks really weird. Normally, under NetBSD, Partition 'd'
>>isn't actually a Partition you can mount, it's the whole disk, while
>>Partition 'c' ist the whole NetBSD-Portion of the disk. In your case a
>>and b looks the same, which is weird also. And they start with 0 which
>>isn't correct either.
>>
> Yes, I agree: this is true on i386 architecture;

Oh yes, good point. I always tend to forget that NetBSD runs on so many
platforms...

>>I suggest that you look in the NetBSD Handbook. There is a section about
>>"Adding a new Harddisk" where there is a nice description of how to
>>write a new disklabel to the disk. You should create a correct NetBSD
>>disklabel which at least should contain an 'a' partition with the values
>>below:
>
> Please take enough care when modifing the disklabel: al least make a
> backup of it. Or make a backup of the data from OpenBSD.

Writing a new disklabel isn't so dangerous. By writing a new disklabel
you can not actually destroy any data. The point is that it have to
match the boundaries of the filesystems the disk contains.

If the OP had only one partition on this disk, chances are very good
that it's boundaries are the same than the boundaries of the
fdisk-partition (which the output of the fdisk command shows).

Martin