Subject: Re: Audio recording.
To: C?sar Catri?n C. <ccatrian@eml.cc>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/09/2004 08:45:19
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 04:52:14PM -0400, C?sar Catri?n C. wrote:
 [...]
> I am able to record audio satisfactorily by modifying values with mixerctl first:
>
> inputs.mic.mute=on to off
> inputs.mic.preamp=off to on

Thanks for the tip.  I never adjusted those, though by fiddling with
other audioctl (record.*) options, I was able to get satisfactory
results.  One thing I had to do was switch to a 16-bit format.  (I
don't especially mind using 16 bits, but 8 would do just as well
for now, and it's the NetBSD default for audio devices.)

Maybe turning up the preamp would help, as you suggest.

Am I missing a good reason for these defaults?  Am I missing a good
reason that audiorecord (at least) is not able to handle the defaults?
Maybe I'm just using low quality microphones and "better" ones wouldn't
need preamp?

I don't really expect answers to these questions, but if anyone has
insight that can be readily shared, or a pointer to good reading
that makes clear the rationale for the defaults, I'd be interested.

Anyway.  Thanks again.  (^&