Subject: [Fwd: Re: make update hell]
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Radhika Sambamurti <radhika@88thstreet.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2004 16:03:19
Hi,
Sorry about that. My previous email was not really very useful for
troubleshooting anything.
I am not sure what version of pkgsrc I was using, but it was quite old
(older than Q2).
I agree with you that the most grevious thing is that before you know it,
in case of a failure, a lot of my packages were de-installed. It would be
nice to see a small warning of the powers of make update or at least the
consequences of running that command.

As to where things failed...in firefox, make update failed.
In gnome1 x-screensaver had a lot of compile errors. I tried gnome2 and
that failed to build properly due to a missing patch file for openldap,
which is a dependency for evolution-data-server, and I couldnt find the
latest binary pkgs, because current wants really new versions. I did try
commenting out dependencies in the meta-pkgs Makefile, but that really did
not work due to other dependencies. Most of the errors were in gnome and
of course manually trying to de-install and re-install.

I dont know if that helps a little as to where things were breaking.

Radhika