Subject: Re: make update hell
To: Radhika Sambamurti <radhika@88thstreet.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/04/2004 09:25:12
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Radhika Sambamurti wrote:

> And i believed it! I did a make update... the next thing I know is I dont
> have gnome, mozilla, half my libraries and thats when my make update hell
> began.
> anyways, I really couldnt resolve all the package sync issues, since I had
> to do damage control by manually removing and installing packages. Nothing
> worked as I was working with current. I decided finally to rm -rf my
> pkgsrc and checked out 2004Q2. I now have gnome and other essential (or
> rather essential for me) packages.

Did one of the packages fail? What exactly was the problem?

Or did the make update complete successfully and then you were missing
packages?

Also, there was an announcement lately about this big update that just
happened. It suggested using IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=yes.

2004Q2 is old. Consider using pkgsrc-2004Q3.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/